2018 marked the 10-year anniversary of the Melbourne Declaration on Educational Goals for Young Australians. Australian educators have and continue to be committed to the declaration including:
Goal 1: Australian schooling promotes equity and excellence and
Goal 2: All young Australians become – successful learners; confident and creative individuals; and active and informed citizens.
The Australian College of Educators working a part of a collaborative group of interested stakeholders has been actively advocating for the State and Federal Governments to agree to a review of the Melbourne Declaration in the context of the ever changing social and education environments we operate in.
On the 22nd of February, ACE President, Dr Phil Lambert FACE, PSM was invited to attend a national Forum on the Review of the Melbourne Declaration organised by the Education Council.
Attended by the majority of State and Territory Ministers, Education leaders and stakeholders the Forum discussed a range of issues including:
- The Impact of the Melbourne Declaration
- The purpose of education in our changing economy and society
- A contemporary declaration
Based on the discussions held during the Forum, the Education Council Ministers have agreed that much of the content of the Melbourne Declaration is still relevant and supported by stakeholders and that as such, the intent of a contemporary declaration will remain the same. Improvements will be considered to modernise the declaration and reflect:
- the factors that impact on the success of education
- the changing nature of education, the economy and work
- the place of learning within broader society
- the importance of early learning
- a renewed focus on equity and embracing diversity
- the importance of smooth transitions and appropriate learning pathways
Consultations to develop the next iteration of the national education declaration will occur over the course of 2019.
The Australian College of Educators will continue to be actively involved in these consultations and the overall review process.
If members are interested in the consultations please go to http://www.educationcouncil.edu.au/Review-of-the-Melbourne-Declaration.aspx